One very important thing that I like to address from the very beginning with my students is to get rid of temptation. Get rid of anything in your pantry or refrigerator that is boxed or processed. Trust me. This is one of the main things I do with the people that I have made loseTWENTY SOMETHING lbs in 4 weeks or less –THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Hahaha!
Literally, have no mercy and throw everything out that you know is not good for you and puts the fat pounds on. Usually these are carbohydrate and sugary foods. Don’t think about it too much, just do it! And once you do, you will feel sooo much better about yourself.
This may include:
- Cake mix
- pancake mix
- granola bars
- multigrain bars
- breads (even if whole wheat)
- Creamy pasta sauces
- Juice from Concentrate
- Milk Chocolates
- White Rice
- Processed peanut butter like Peter Pan, Jiffy, etc.
- Taco Shells
- Chips (I don’t care if they are natural)
… to name a few.
By having these items around, you will be tempted at some point to eat them. But, if you have a healthier selection, then that’s what you will opt to eat because well, there aren’t really any other options. It’s that simple.
This doesn’t mean that you will never have anything sweet, or anything salty and crunchy, but it does mean you will get more creative with food in order to satisfy that craving. And, in fact those cravings will, more likely than not, go away because your body will be nourished with nutrients which will make you feel satisfied. On the other hand when you feed your body crappy food, it always is looking out for what you’re gonna eat next because the foods are not nutrient dense; in other words, dead food that only provides calories.
And here is a perspective that you may have not thought about:
When you eat healthy foods, it makes you feel lighter. By feeling lighter, you don’t focus or obsess with how out of shape you are or how bloated you feel.In other words, you don’t focus as much on the body.
And naturally you lose weight and fat without much thought. But when you eat unhealthy food, you will feel more dense – not light. Therefore, you’ll tend to think about how much fat you have, how much weight you have put on, how this doesn’t fit right, blah blah. Then you get emotionally distressed and guess what? You will try to fill that void of feeling like crap by eating more! It becomes a vicious cycle.
So through ACTION of buying healthier things for your house and eating them, you will have lost weight and fat, without that “heavy” feeling of “OMG, I have to lose weight cause I’m so _________________.”
To get you even more geared up with action, I’ve got a sample grocery list for you so you can easily replace those crappy foods with foods that will fill you because they have nutrients that your body can recognize and absorb well. You’ll find yourself eating less naturally.
- Organic Hormone- and antibiotics-free chicken
- Grass-fed beef or whole foods, or local farm- Wild fish (such as wild salmon/Wild Tuna Medallions, Salmon Patties) or Whole Foods, or Local Fish Market
- Eggs (free range, no hormones or antibiotics)
- Deli turkey or ham or roast beef or chicken (organic, uncured) Applegate Farms is a great brand
- Jar of organic peanut butter or almond butter
- Loaf of Ezequiel or Genesis bread or English muffins (you’ll find it in the freezer section)
- Plain yogurt (I prefer yogurt from goats instead of cows, and my favorite brand is Redwood Hill Farms)
- or Greek Yogurt
- Coconut water
- Organic Broccoli, cucumbers, asparagus- fresh
- Goat cheese (to be used sparingly) or raw parmesan cheese-(sparingly)
- Organic Berries (strawberries, blueberries,raspberries) (frozen or fresh)
- Ghee or cultured butter
- Almonds or walnuts
- Berries (strawberries and blueberries)
** You may make your own dressing using a little oil, vinegar, and lemon.
- High-quality protein bars, but try not to do every day or more than 1 a day – Listed in order by preference, you can choose from…
A. Whey Bar by Dr. Joseph Mercola – good for all types.
B. Prana (nuts/seeds/fruit- usually good for Carb Type, not so much protein type), or something similar, if you can’t find these.
- Sweet potatoes, white potatoes 2 of each.
- Capers (optional)
- Greek or Kalamata Olives( optional)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- Raw honey, xylitol (made from stevia), or stevia (optional)
- Sea salt
- Olive oil
- coconut oil (helps burn fat, is heat sustainable, and is antibacterial and anti-fungal, and taste great! so yea, get it
- Dry Organic Herbs like Oregano, Basil, Garlic Powder
- Green Tea Mighty leaf, and Tea Pigs are good brands.
- Yerba Mate Tea (best for energy instead of coffee)
*** You can try what I do if you want: I put both Green tea Mint by Tea Pigs and Yerba Mate by Tea Pigs together in one, its my alternative to coffee.
70-85% Chocolate like Lindt brand or another organic brand. With a one or two squares you kill the sweet craving.
P.S. If you want to replace chips and salsa, you can do sliced European seedless cucumbers and either hummus, organic salsa,or homemade guacamole.
If this is for yourself, only cut half of a cucumber and take 2-4 tablespoons of the dips mentioned above as a serving size.
There you go my fitness friend, now get to your kitchen… you know what to do.